Wednesday, July 18, 2012

"If this isn't nice, I don't know what is."

"'Do they collide?' 
I ask and you smile.
With my feet on the dash, the world doesn't matter."






 A very special thank you to my treasured friend, Chandler Jones for asking me to accompany him to the Ryman to see Death Cab for Cutie. While in the pews of the historic tabernacle-turned-auditorium, my head was floating and my heart was rhythmically bobbing up and down in a deep sea of teenage memories. Days and nights of riding in the passenger seat down long, country roads or through slick, city streets with someone special. Solitary meditations. Pulling off to the side of the road to catch snowflakes on our tongues when a snow shower surprises us. Sunny drives home from school and autumn days. Death Cab for Cutie weaved its way all throughout my teenage years--making patterns, adding subtle embellishments, and double stitching seams for a lasting hold. 
Those memories are there to stay, so it was truly heartwarming to be able to listen a band that held such a special place in my life for so many years.

Bouncing, silly pictures, presents, finding literary gold, Death Cab Dr. Peppers, sleepy stories, french toast with hot tea or coffee, jokes, loads of laughter, a small nap, and a very early morning drive home.



“And I urge you to please notice when you are happy, and exclaim or murmur or think at some point, 'If this isn't nice, I don't know what is.” -Kurt Vonnegut


"And I do believe it's true.
That there are roads left in both of our shoes,
but if the silence takes you then I hope it takes me, too.
So, brown eyes I hold you near, cause you're the only song I want to hear.
A melody softly soaring through my atmosphere."

No comments:

Post a Comment