Sunday, April 1, 2012









Strawberry mojitos,
whiskey sours,
more chocolate-covered strawberries,
crepes,
fruit pizzas,
yellow cake with chocolate frosting,
games of charades, 
and all of my friends dressed to the 9's.

After a blissful few days in Florence with friends and family, I came home to my beloved roommates and my beautiful house decorated with me in mind. Brown birthday banners with subtly patterned bunting adorned the walls, little presents wrapped in brown paper and tied with string, little tables were set up with dreamy delights, and all of my friends were dressed to impress.  It really was something special. Just the thought of it makes me blush.  

Well, I'm twenty now.
I won't forget the excitement of turning thirteen and feeling like the coolest thing on the planet. Or the feeling of being fourteen and desperately wishing I was fifteen. Then, being fifteen and not caring that my mother was in the car, but just enjoying the feeling of the steering wheel under my hands and a feeling of empowerment when I held car keys in public places. At sixteen, braces, a boyfriend, and the realization that I never actually was the best thing since sliced bread. At seventeen, my love for nature grew, the braces were removed, and every day after school was spent either playing Zelda, "resting", or in downtown Florence. Eighteen brought an experience abroad, Bonnaroo, college, and recognition that I lacked a certain level of maturity. At nineteen, I grew up. I matured. I sought after meaning to things that I previously overlooked. I made realizations about myself and found out what kind of person I wanted to be. I made a conscious effort to let my better qualities blossom and further develop, while trying to make the lesser qualities wither away and I made a promise to myself to let every year be like that one.

And now, I am twenty. I'm a sophomore at the University of Alabama. I am passionate about personal growth, literature, nature, art, the sea, and people. 
I'm nostalgic, honest, easily pleased, and I plan to keep my promise.

"Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with dark imaginings. Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself. You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars; you have a right to be here. And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should."




No comments:

Post a Comment