Tuesday, June 26, 2012

When I'm sitting in Panera surrounded by my laptop, planner, journal, pens, pencils, and a notebook filled with disgusting math problems, I often compare this summer to last summer. 

I think about how I drove to work with the sunrise on the horizon, slowly hoisting itself up into the sky right in front of me as if it were sleepily rising to greet me personally, and the way that I would squint because my eyes weren't equipped to handle its luster at that hour. I think about the strenuous work that I did and the way that my hands cramped and my wrists swelled after a particularly busy day. I think about how I left work every single day with a smile on my face. I think about Corsby offering me triple-decker peanut butter crackers with so much peanut butter that it felt like I'd never get it down. I think about what I went through in the spring and the reason why I threw myself head-first into every task or encounter that I had in the past year. 

Then, I think about the way that I grew. How I learned to let things go, how I learned my strengths and weaknesses, how I gained confidence and matured more and more every day, and about how I gained an unwavering feeling of independence.

I have a choice. I can look at summer 2012 in one of two ways. I can dwell on the fact that I never see my friends and family. Or the fact that I'm not able to go on all of the excursions that I had planned. Or the fact that I have a strict schedule that includes waking up, eating, school, homework, work, and bed. 
 But after thinking about this a lot last night, I discovered that that way of thinking is highly inappropriate considering the fact that this is a major adventure in itself.

I'm twenty years old and starting a serving job in a fine dining restaurant, something that I have never done before. No, it's by no means as glamourous as trekking through Alaskan forests or leisurely strolling down the East Coast beaches exploring light houses. But, it's an incredible learning experience that many people wont ever be fortunate enough to have. 

After a few weeks of being incredibly discouraged and after doing a deep, personal analysis last night, I was relieved to find that I'm still growing. 
.  .  .
I've become more responsible.
I've found that I'm not a quitter.
I've found that I can have control over any situation if I keep my wits about me.
I've learned that I still have that independence that I discovered last year.
I've found that I'm growing every day and that my priorities are straightened out.
I've gained confidence and developed a mature way of handling situations that are out of my control.
.  .  . 
I'm pleased with this.

Next time you go out to dinner, leave your server a 20-25% tip. It will make their day, or even their week

No comments:

Post a Comment