Sunday, December 29, 2013

It's the most wonderful time of the year.

It's the hap-happiest season of all.
Christmas Eve was splendid, as always. I had a wonderful dinner where I ate way, way, way, way too much. Then I received the typography books that I asked for! Then, I received the doll house that my dad built me when I was a little girl. But, this time, it was painted and looked even more beautiful than I remembered. I had to wipe a few tears away for that one. 
I have the most incredible men in my life. 

This Christmas was more unlike any other. The most noticeable difference was Andy's absence. I missed hearing his laugh coming from around the corner. I missed sitting next to him at the dinner table. Fortunately, I suppose, there wasn't really a "dinner" this year. I actually overheard my grandmother saying that she was just going to go pick up a bucket of chicken. Of course, me, my mom, and my aunts would never allow that. But, we didn't know that there wasn't a ham until it was too late, so we just snacked on dips, spreads, and pies. Food brings people together and when there is someone special missing, maybe the special foods should be missing, too. 
There wasn't a Christmas tree this year. At first, I was shocked and quietly disappointed. Then I remembered how magical last year's tree had been and how big of a deal it was that my Papa had even put it up, since he had been so tired and sick. So, after Trey kindly, and discretely shifted my point of view and showed me the very small, table top tree that sat proudly in the hallway floor, I felt better. 
Truly, it didn't matter that there wasn't a ham, seven casseroles, mashed potatoes, or a tree. All that mattered was that once again, we were all able to get together. And while Andy wasn't able to physically be there, I know that all the way over in China, he was celebrating in his own way.

One of the biggest events was Trey meeting Clovis and Imogene. I had prepped Trey for his handshake with Clovis, telling him how important handshakes are in my family. I had prepped him for the possibility of Imogene giving him an endearing pat on his bottom. But, I don't think that he was at all prepared for actually being in my Papa's presence. On Christmas Eve, I showed him picture after picture of Clovis and Imogene in their heydays. He was in awe. He couldn't get over how stunning my Papa was. Then, the next morning when he met him in person, he was in shock. The handshake went very well. All day, I could see him watching my sweet Papa. He listened intently when Papa told the story about winning first place in a greased-pole climbing race in '57. He decided that he needed a pocked knife, after seeing that my Papa always has one. He decided that he needed to carry a handkerchief, after learning that my Papa always has one handy. After Papa told him that he was built like he was, I think Trey blushed. When Papa said that he liked Trey's haircut that I gave him, Trey beamed. I have always felt like every man should strive to be like my Papa. So, when my already spectacular boyfriend tells me that he wants to be like my Papa, goes out and buys a pocket knife and handkerchief, and says that he is going to quit cursing (which he seldom did to begin with)...my heart flutters. 
Oh, and Imogene... 
When she first saw him on Christmas morning, he was asleep on the floor next to my bed. "Now, who am I looking at?" she said as she smiled. Then, when she saw him awake, she exclaimed, "Oh, wow. You are handsome!" All day, that's how it went. She led him around the house, showing him pictures and telling him stories. She gave him butterfly kisses, and then gave him a big kiss, right on the tip of his nose. In his Christmas card she wrote, "We love you already!"
Papa told him that he was impressed by him.
Nanny asked me if he tells me that he loves me, and then if he likes me. To both, I answered "he sure does."
It was a beautiful Christmas.

No comments:

Post a Comment